FROM 1st APRIL 2018
We will no longer be able to accept orders directly from a pharmacy or dispensing company.
It is important that you only order the medication that you currently require. Medicines that are not taken and are therefore wasted cost the NHS approximately £300 million every year. Locally, across Chorley and South Ribble and Greater Preston CCG’s up to £6 million could be saved by reducing medicines waste.
From 5 December 2016 these items are no longer to be routinely prescribed, and unless there are exceptional circumstances, patients will be expected to buy these products themselves.
- Pain killers for minor aches and pains
- Tonics, vitamins and health supplements
- Ear wax removers (a few drops of olive oil is recommended)
- Lozengers, throat sprays, nasal sprays, mouthwashes, gargles and toothpastes
- Indigestion remedies for occasional use
- Creams for bruising, tattoos, and scars
- Moisturisers, bath additives and shampoos for dry skin.
- Many of these products are cheap to buy and are readily available along with advice from pharmacies, as well as shops and supermarkets (which are often open late and at weekends).
- Sometimes there is a better alternative to the medications, e.g. olive oil to remove ear wax.
- There are no real clinical benefits.
- The local NHS spends over £700,000 each year on these medicines. This money could be better spent on treating more serious conditions and reducing health inequalities.
Ways to order your prescription
The practice will only accept orders for prescriptions from you or your carer in the following ways:
- Online using the FREE Patient Access app. To download the app search ‘patient access’ in your app store or visit https:patient.emisaccess.co.uk
- Handing in the white tear off part of the prescription normally received when you receive your medication from the pharmacy. Only individual items that are ticked will be requested.
- Request slip located in the practice reception
- Phone line – Dedicated prescription line open Monday – Friday 9am – 12pm please call the surgery on 01772 214744 and select option 2. (Please note phone orders will only be accepted on this line during these times).
Please allow 48 hours before collecting your prescription from the practice or pharmacy.